Join the Quadra Island Fire Department
The fire and rescue service is one of the most diverse and challenging professions known today. It is this diversity that inspires people to enter the service as volunteers. Imagine having to train to prepare yourself to cope with situations that range from structure fires, to motor vehicle incidents, to heart attacks, to any other possible emergency situation in between. This diversity is coupled with the fact that these skills may be needed at any time of the day, and very often under potentially stressful and emotional circumstances. These factors also contribute to our profession being personally rewarding.
Meet Great People
Not For Everyone
You need more than just a desire to help people. We have many rewarding experiences but also challenging experiences while performing our duties. You need courage, dedication, assertiveness, fitness, and a willingness to learn new skills and face new challenges.
The fire service is not for those who lose control of their emotions during a time of crisis. Our service calls on its members to perform hot, dirty, strenuous work often in uncertain and hazardous environments.
The personal rewards and satisfaction received from the fire service are often beyond description. There is a sense of accomplishment after controlling a structure fire, or joy when a person is rescued. The list goes on.
The bottom line is that our business is measured by the loss of life, pain, suffering, and property damage we have prevented or reduced.
If you feel you have what it takes to meet the challenges of our business, we welcome you to apply to join us. If you are interested in joining, then download an application now. Once you have filled out the application, please return it to Hall #1 located at 844 Heriot Bay rd, Quadra Island. The best time to return an application is on Tuesday, around 7pm, which is when our weekly practice takes place.
Volunteer General Duties
Volunteer members report through the chain of command to the Fire Chief and are employed by the “South Quadra Island Fire Protection District.”
Firefighters are responsible for the combating, extinguishing and preventing of fires and saving of life and property within the South Quadra Island Fire Protection District. They participate in training as required by the fire department training program.
Without restricting the general nature and scope of work, the following are illustrative examples of work, which may be expected of fire department members.
- Is prompt at all meetings and practices.
- Abides by fire department procedures, guidelines, regulations and code of ethics.
- Attends promptly when a paged to an incident.
- Lays and connects hose, directs water streams, raises and climbs ladders, as well as uses portable extinguishers, self-contained breathing apparatus, and other fire fighting, rescue, and safety tools.
- Delivers fire suppression for both structure and wild land fire fighting. Rescues persons from danger and administers first aid to the injured.
- Drives and operates fire fighting apparatus and equipment.
- Remains at the scene of an emergency unless given permission to leave by the officer in command.
- Returns to the fire hall after calls and practices to assist with cleaning of equipment.
- Cleans and maintains personal protective equipment.
- Does not attended emergency calls while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- And more…